Relaxation-ahhhhh. Just the thought makes us desire it. Unfortunately, most of us tend to think that we can't relax unless it's on a beach, or on the weekend with a brewski and the NFL on the tube. Well, today I am going to give you a technique to use everyday to take a mini-relaxation break.
1. You can do this with your eyes open or closed. Relax your entire body as much as you can. Take 3 slow, deep breaths, in thru your nose, out thru your mouth. Feel where you are holding tension and relax those places. Feel yourself getting "heavy".
2. Now, starting with your feet, clench the muscles as you inhale. Hold, then relax your feet as you exhale. I like to do this 3 times. Take longer on the out breath and the relaxation, than you do on the inhale and muscle contraction.
3. Now, take this technique up through your body. Do your calves, your upper legs, your buttocks, your tummy, your chest, your shoulders, your arms, your hands (clench into a fist), your neck, and your face.
4.When your entire body has been done, sit or lie quietly for 5 minutes. Continue breathing slowly and deeply, in and out. Feel the tension flowing out of your body and into the ground.
5. When you are ready, open your eyes if you had them closed, count backward from 5 to 0, continuing the deep breathing. You may feel a bit disoriented at first, but this will pass. Get up and stretch.
6. Now, don't you feel better!